Author Topic: Heat, Cool, or Both  (Read 2266 times)

whovous

Heat, Cool, or Both
« on: November 23, 2015, 05:21:47 PM »
My Fermostat controls an old refrigerator in my garage.  The weather turned cool recently, so I activated both heating and cooling on the device.

I've manually set the temp at 70F for the past several days to carb my bottles, and I have been surprised at the amount of usage.  Garage temps are 50-60s most of the time now, and I would expect 2-3 hours of heating and zero cooling per day.  Instead, I see 6-8 hours of heating and nearly the same amount of cooling each day.

Why do I see any cooling at all?  It should never be remotely warm enough outside the fridge to trigger a cooling cycle with the temp set at 70F.  It seems like maybe the heating cycle triggers the cooling cycle, which triggers the heating cycle, etc.

Should I be doing something differently?

whovous

Re: Heat, Cool, or Both
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 07:41:19 AM »
Any thoughts?

I've turned cooling off for now for bottle conditioning, but I plan to brew again this weekend.

icetrayz

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 10:21:58 PM »
Pretty sure the support for this device has all but dried up. I regret buying mine at this point, which is unfortunate.

In any event. What is likely happening in your case is that the temperature swings by the heater and freezer are pushing the actual temp beyond its range. Ex. your heater comes on, by the time the probe hits its off the heater has already contributed enough heat to send the space too high. Likewise on the cold side, once it goes too high the freezer comes on, starts to cool, but then the freezer has a bunch of residual cooling still in effect once you hit your target, thus sending the temp too low, and repeat.

One way to reduce this is to set you range a bit higher, I believe the device goes down to 0.5 degrees (+/- 0.5). In this case overshooting heat or cooling by just 0.5 degrees triggers the opposite device to come on. set it higher to like 1-2 degrees... secondly you can set the delay a bit longer. I think they default to 3 or 5 minutes. what this is... once the system wants heat or cool, it starts this delay countdown. if set for 5 minutes, you will see the device call for cooling and not until 5 minutes has passed will it actually turn on. Maybe set it for the 5 minutes or longer on both heat and cool. These could help smoothen out your temperature swings.

whovous

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 02:04:42 PM »
Support has always been slow from this vendor, but it looks like you right about support being dried up.  Tis pity, as this could be a pretty neat device. Our money is spent, so we should at least get what use we can from it.  I appreciate and will seek to apply your advice.  For now, at least, the temps in my garage are low enough all day and all night that I do not need a cooling cycle.  I was bottle conditioning in the low 70s and now I am fermenting in the low 60s.

I think I am already in the 1-2 minute range, and suspect the terrarium heater is continuing to throw off heat for a while after being powered down, and that (as you've said) triggers the cooling.  I am betting that going to 5 minutes or longer before turnon will do the trick.

Thanks again for the response.  Much appreciated.

dcallender

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 05:55:17 PM »
I just emailed him, hopefully we can get a response in a reasonable manner. He was quick to answer my email when I was looking to purchase this product!

whovous

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 08:36:15 PM »
I hope it goes well for you.  This product does have a lot to offer, if it is supported.  I saw some Black Friday/Cyber Monday "deals" on their Facebook page today, so he still seems to be in business.

caleb

• Administrator
    • Ohmbrew Automations
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 01:39:02 AM »
Hey all, terribly sorry for the inexcusable lack of response and delay.  Time resources are practically dried up here and unfortunately, forum support is one of the activities that has taken a hit. 

There is currently alot going on here but there looks to be an end in sight, so I do hope to right the ship in short order.  Truth is that I still need to have a full time job to support this venture and things have gotten extremely busy there.  Couple that with a family expansion (my first child was born earlier this year) and things have just gotten out of hand. I hope to have things back under control by early next year.

To address the original question, icetrayz has given you a good answer.  That is what I would suggest to lower the overshoot.  I would set the Heat and Cool cycle to 10 minutes or more.  The upcoming version has some system learning that will recognize oscillations and adjust the system to prevent them.

Thanks for your patience.

anastasiagl4

• Pictures from community networks
Adult site
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 04:00:34 AM »
 My new photo blog
http://hotpic.erolove.in/?post.karina
 for the love of ray j girls gay foursome videos leah love cock man gets 59 years in fort worth texas cum folosesc cheat_engine